Farmers Irrigation District strives to promote ecologically, socially, and economically
                                                                                         sustainable agriculture by providing energy and irrigation service for the common good

Irrigation Basics

Oregon Water Resources Department (OWRD) allows the Hood River Basin irrigation season to begin April 15th and end September 30th. FID is not allowed to deliver water for irrigation purposes outside of that date range. In early April, District irrigation crews assess moisture levels throughout the District to estimate when specific area soils and crops will most likely require water. The irrigation system is then charged accordingly, and in response to grower demand.

In order to make best use of your dollars and our valley's water supply, know your crop/plants and watch the weather. Over-watering, especially during spring, can be as damaging as under-watering. Every bit of water saved helps our community. Please make sure that you know your water right amount and how much water flows through your sprinklers. Outdated models of sprinklers like the "butterfly" and other models with large orifices are prime examples of wasteful sprinklers. Overwatering can also cause erosion and unnecessary runoff which can devalue a property. With the advent of micro-technology sprinklers, available via the District's sprinkler exchange program or from local irrigation supply companies, low flow sprinkler heads are readily available and highly encouraged. To obtain more information about best-practice irrigation techniques and micro-sprinklers, also see our Resources page.

To get started learning more about water use in Farmers Irrigation District, see our FAQs page. If you would like more information on how to calculate the amount of water to which you are entitled, or if you have any problems with water supply, system connections, or any other irrigation questions or comments, please call (541) 387-5261.

You Can Help!
Please help protect public access to the Reservoirs and Dams, report any vandalism, littering or unauthorized motor vehicles up at the Reservoirs or on the Dams.